Monday, July 16, 2007

the insanity resumes

Well, it was only a matter of time before I made my grand re-entrance into the land of academic blogging. Welcome.

Despite the trials and tribulations of last semester, I did better than I expected. The break has also allowed me to rejuvenate and I can honestly say that I am excited about continuing this subject and getting another chance to put together another production project - and possibly my last during my career as an undergrad.

The lecture I suppose covered a few of the more basic principles of documentary filmmaking. Although I don't have the background some of the students do (those who are majoring in Cinema and did Documentary Studies last semester), I feel pretty confident in tackling the format - mostly because it's what I have been interested in from the beginning, and because I have a bit of a background from doing Broadcast Media last year, in which my group emulated a Getaway sequence. And some very classic documentary-style editing went into practice there.

Most refreshingly, I think, is the fact that the sky really is the limit with documentary - both subject-wise and as far as pushing the boundaries of convention go. There is such a vast amount of information out there that few of us are privy to - I'm not even talking in terms of political exposes... I just mean in general. And now that we have the ground workings in our mind from putting a short drama together, we can really afford to test ourselves as far as this next project goes.

Excited? I think, very :D

No comments: